Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mommy Memoirs: Nap Time

My son, so perfectly nicknamed "Hurricane" brings so much joy and laughter. I know I am biased, but he is one of my favorite humans of all time. What's not so fun is disciplining him.

He isn't a mean-spirited little boy by any means. He is just very mischievous. Very "Dennis the Menace-esque" Half the time he is doing something he shouldn't, but I lose all credibility of a disciplinarian when I try to scold, due to the fact I can't fake a frown. I normally have to turn around because of what he is doing- it's usually hilarious, even though he shouldn't be doing it. Pure, uncontrollable laughter is the outcome.

Today, Hockey Day Minnesota (a holiday to my husband), we have quite the excitement filling the air. My son, of course, is all wound up.  My husband leaves to run somewhere, and I dutifully put H down for a nap. He is now in a big boy bed, and loves it. However, he likes to get up sometimes and open the door. He usually runs out waving, saying " Hi!". Today I thought the 3rd time was the charm of laying him down, so I jump in the shower.

A couple minutes in, I hear footsteps. I am sure I am not the only one that hears phantom noises in the shower when you are home alone. Turns out it was H. He is on the loose. Normally this isn't terrible, but today, he was in rare form.

I am just finishing up and shaving my legs. All of a sudden, a little head pokes in behind the curtain and down dives my phone. Some how he had pulled my phone off of the counter and thought it was the phone's turn to go swimming. I saved it just in time. Thankful for phone insurance for those moments!

I throw my phone on the rug, and rush to finish so I can run to it's aid. I get out of the shower and quickly dry off the water. I wrap myself in a towel and step out into the living room.

There's little H laying on the couch with a toothbrush and a travel size body wash, which he so conveniently jacked from the bathroom. I immediately yell, "what are you doing!". He gives me a big smirk and replies, " nigh-night!", followed by "teeth!" at least he is excited about brushing his teeth.

Ah, my little hurricane. Never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment